To the general demand and unspoken envy I give you my own tutorial to help all of you fandalorians in need of drawing your favorite character(s)!
This shows easy steps for drawing without shaming you with my super powers; well, maybe you might need some practice getting the proportions right at first. The head is supposed to be that big, it's a freaking helmet, ok? And the armor plates don't have to be the way I made them. If you can come up with a different shape and design it's a plus.
I wish you all the best luck and creativity while trying out this tutorial! And please upload your work and show it to me, my young apprentice.
A few basic pencil drawing instructions:
- take a few minutes to practice with straight lines and nice circles in 1 stroke
- put very little pressure on the tip when doing your construction lines to be able to erase them later on
- pay attention to proportion, for example: upper arm = shoulder length = torso length
- sharpen your pencil and insist on the final outlines and details
- take a step back every 5 minutes to look at what you're doing & try not to copy what you're seeing on the screen, it has to look right in your own drawing
Secrets for drawing a cool character:
1) the most important part of your drawing is the spirit: it needs to speak with what it shows
2) research and inspiration are the key to an awesome drawing, I spend at least 2 days fine-tuning my idea before I start doodling a sketch (I feed on pictures and photos)
3) always keep in mind what the final result is supposed to look like and work up to that. If you stop mid-sketch and suddenly feel like you're drifting off, erase and restart. Don't ever draw with your face 2 inches away from the paper, that's just... freaky.
4) and finally, don't ever, ever make your character take a Marvel Comics hero pause. It will make him/her look full of douche.